Units Settings give you control over several different functions pertaining to units at your facility, including creating and editing units and unit groups in your facility, determining your walk through order, and building your facility map.
This guide will provide insight into:
- Creating new units and unit groups
- Editing existing units and unit groups
- Adding units to an existing unit group
- Bulk upload units
- Defining and adjusting your walk through order
- Building and maintaining your facility map
To access unit settings:
- Click the settings tab in the lower left of your screen.
- Under the unit section, select units. Your unit settings will load.
To navigate within unit settings:
Use the tabs in the top right to switch between views of your units. Your units do not change across tabs. They're simply displayed in different formats to make completing unit tasks easier.
- The facility map tab allows you to choose the visual location of a unit in relation to your property using the map builder.
- The groups tab lists all units in groups with identical size, price and amenities.
- The individual tab lists all units individually by unit number.
- The walk thru tab lists all units in a custom order that you define.
Creating new units and unit groups
To create a new unit or unit group from your Unit Settings:
- Select the Groups or Individual tab in the top right.
- Click the Add new units link from the top or bottom of the units table denoted by a green plus symbol (+).
- Complete the Add unit(s) form. For details regarding sections and fields, see below.
- When you are finished making changes, click Save at the bottom of the page.
- Choose format: Use this button to select adding a list of units (separate the units by commas) or a range of units. See screenshot below for the fields associated with entering a range of units.
- Unit Number(s): Use this field to assign unit numbers to the unit(s) you plan to create.
- To create an individual unit, select List format and enter one number.
- Unit type: Click the dropdown to select the type of unit(s) you wish to create from the list. (Unit types are created in a separate settings section and must be setup prior to creating units. For more details, visit the Unit Types article.)
- Standard Rate: Use this field to define the monthly cost of the unit(s).
- Width: Use this field to specify the unit(s) width.
- Length: Use this field to specify the unit(s) length.
- Height: Use this field to specify the unit(s) height.
- Manually set square footage: Check this box if you want the square footage of the unit to differ from width x length. Doing so will open a new field, Area.
- Area: This field only appears when Manually set square footage is enabled. When you enter a square footage here, the unit is classified as that size for reporting purposes.
- Floor: Use this field to enter a floor designation (i.e. 1st, 2nd, etc.).
- Use the checkboxes to select all applicable amenities.
- Rentable: Check this box to ensure unit(s) are available for rent to your tenants. (When editing units, this check box is only visible when editing from the Individual tab.) When this checkbox is de-selected, the unit will be color coded gray throughout the system and may not be chosen for reservation, move-in or transfer. This status of the unit will be Unrentable.
- Excluded from API: Check this box to exclude unit(s) from the API. When checked, the units defined above are viewable only within your management software.
|Rentable||Exclude from API||Visible on Marketing Website||Status in Software|
|Box Checked||Box Checked||No||Vacant|
|Box Checked||Box Unchecked||Yes||Vacant|
|Box Unchecked||Box Checked||No||Unrentable|
|Box Unchecked||Box Unchecked||Yes - but listed as "Call" instead of "Reserve" or "Move In"||Unrentable|
- Walk Thru Order: Use this field to define the order you pass unit(s) as you walk through your facility. For example, to define the 5th unit you pass as you walk through your facility, enter 5. Each number may only be used once. This order is what you see in the units Walk Thru tab and Unit Walk Thru report. It is helpful for building your map or walking your premise.
- Directions: Use this text box to enter walking or driving directions to your unit from the front gate.
- Door Width: Use this field to specify the door width.
- Door Height: Use this field to specify the door height.
- Door Type: Use the radio buttons to select one door type: Roll Up Door, Swing Door, or None.
Select whether the unit is Fully Enclosed or Not Fully Enclosed. This setting makes it easier to separate unenclosed units such as parking spaces from enclosed units with walls and doors.
- Use the radio buttons to select indoor or outdoor access. The unit(s) icon will reflect your selection. Note that this is a required field.
- Use the checkboxes to select the tax rate to be applied to your unit(s).
Bulk Upload Units
The Bulk Upload tool can be used to easily add a large number of units. This can be particularly useful if you are expanding your storage facility or opening a brand new facility.
1. After clicking Add new units, select Bulk Upload.
2. Click Download CSV Template.
3. Open the file you downloaded and starting in row 2, enter one unit per line using the guide below. Red indicates a required field. Do not change the column headers in the CSV file. Do not include any special characters like $.
|Unit Number||Text||A unique alphanumeric code that identifies the unit.||100|
|Type||Text||The name of the particular unit type or group.||Self Storage|
|Standard Rate||Number||The normal rate of the unit without any rental promotions or discounts of any kind.||50.00|
|Unit Width (ft)||Number||The width of the unit.||10|
|Unit Length (ft)||Number||The length of the unit.||10|
|Unit Height (ft)||Number||The height of the unit.||8|
|Manual Area (sqft)||Number||The square footage of the unit you want your reports to show. Only use if you want the sq ft to differ from width x length for reporting purposes.||0|
|Rentable||Text||A "true" or "false" verification of whether an individual unit is rentable or not.||true|
|Unit Group Abbreviation||Text||A brief description of the unit group.||BCC|
|Floor||Number||What floor the unit is on.||1|
|Amenity 1||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Drive-Up Access|
|Amenity 2||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Climate Controlled|
|Amenity 3||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Elevator|
|Amenity 4||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||CC|
|Amenity 5||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Uncovered|
|Amenity 6||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Heated|
|Amenity 7||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Light in Unit|
|Amenity 8||Text||Any feature specific to a unit or group of units.||Power in Unit|
|Company Owned||Text||A "true" or "false" verification of whether an individual unit is rentable or not.||false|
|Exclude from API||Text||A "true" or "false" verification of whether an individual unit is shared with your approved 3rd party partners via the API.||false|
|Walk Thru Order||Number||The order in which the units are checked during a physical walkthrough of the facility.||33|
|Directions||Text||Walking or driving directions to your unit from the front gate.||Turn left at the flagpole|
|Door Width||Number||The width, in feet, of the entry door to the unit.||3|
|Door Height||Number||The height, in feet, of the entry door to the unit.||7|
|Door Type||Text||Either Roll Up, Swing, or None||Roll Up|
|Fully Enclosed||Text||A "true" or "false" verification of whether an individual unit is fully enclosed or not.||true|
|Access Type||Text||Either Indoor or Outdoor||Outdoor|
|Tax 1||Number||The rent tax rate for the unit*||5|
|Tax 2||Number||The rent tax rate for the unit*||2|
|Tax 3||Number||The rent tax rate for the unit*||0|
|Unit Note||Text||An internal note about the unit. This note will not appear in Unit Settings. It will appear in the Unit History.||Broken door|
*Tax note: Most users will only use Tax 1. Tax 2 and 3 are available if you split your tax rate into state, city, and/or local rates. For example, if your total rent tax rate is 6% but 3% goes to the state, 1% goes to the city and 2% goes to the county, you can enter 6 for Tax 1 and leave Tax 2 and 3 blank, or you can enter 3 for Tax 1, 1 for Tax 2, and 2 for Tax 3.
4. Save the CSV file to your computer.
5. In storEDGE, click Choose File to upload the CSV.
6. Click the Preview button to view the units before adding them to your storEDGE account.
7. If everything looks correct, click the button to create new units.
Editing Existing Units and Unit Groups
- Select the groups or individual tab in the top right.
- Click the edit button along the right for the unit(s) you wish to edit.
- The edit units page will appear. All options are the same here as described above.
- When you are finished making changes, click save at the bottom of the page.
To break a unit out of a unit group:
- Select the Individual tab in the top right.
- Click the edit button along the right for the unit you wish to edit.
- When you are finished making changes, click save at the bottom of the page.
Vacant units may be deleted from the system by clicking the Delete this unit button on the unit editing page.
- Once you've deleted a unit, you will have a new tab at the top of your screen labeled Deleted. Click on this tab to see a list of all deleted unit. Click the Undo Delete button to restore the unit to your inventory.
Adding units to existing unit groups
Adding units to existing unit groups is simple. To do so:
- From your Unit Settings, click Add New Units.
- Fill out the range of unit numbers you'd like to add. Then, click Add to Unit Group.
- On the next screen, select the unit group to which you'd like to add your units. Then, click Select Group.
- On the next screen, you'll see that all the amenities and unit attributes associated with the unit group will be pre-selected for you. Scroll down to Other Details to enter the walkthrough order, door type and size, unit enclosure, whether the unit has indoor and outdoor access, and the tax rate you'd like to apply to the new units.
- Click Save to complete adding the new units.
Defining and adjusting your walk through order
Your walk thru order defines the order you pass unit(s) as you walk through your facility. For example, the 5th unit you pass as you walk through your facility may be defined as 5.
- Select the Walk Through tab in the top right.
- Click edit along the right for the individual unit whose walk through order you wish to edit.
- In the location section, enter the new number in the walk through order field. Each number may only be used once.
You may edit the rest of the unit information just as you were able to do above.
- When you are finished making your changes, click save at the bottom of the page.
Building and maintaining your facility map
The facility map builder allows you to build an interactive map of your property. Once you build your map, you can access it in the facility map manager and use it to view unit status, track leads, and complete move-ins, move-outs, and transfers.
- Select the facility map tab in the top right.
- Follow the steps outlined in the facility map builder article.